Job Description: Chapter Publicity Chair
Purpose of Position
Publicity works with internal and external media to maximize publicity coverage and awareness of issues and events, and to drive attendance of events/activities for the Chapter/Group. To publicize Club events and activities through use of posters, flyers, email, press releases, and other appropriate media. Other responsibilities can be taken on as a committee structure allows.
- Coordinate publicity efforts for the chapter or local group.
- Work with chapter/group staff/ExCom and other key volunteers to develop annual publicity calendar and timeline of events/activities and develop and maintain media sources database.
- Develop and disseminate materials publicizing chapter or group events and activities to media via chapter/group website and newsletter, local community and newspaper calendar of events, posters in local outdoor and other appropriate stores, press releases, email, FAX or mail as appropriate.
- Coordinate tabling events at local street fairs, conventions, and other appropriate events with the member engagement chair, conservation chair or other person(s) who coordinate tabling.
- Work with Newsletter Editor, Member Engagement Chair or other to use publicity materials, including AdKit (D-1), Event Posters (C-3), and Sticker Update for Event Posters (C-9), etc.
- Solicit stories and photos of all major Chapter/Group events and volunteer group activities and pitch to appropriate internal and external media sources.
- Participate as either ex officio or voting member of the executive committee, and provide a publicity report at each meeting.
- Maintain digital and hard copy files of publicity (i.e., designs for poster, flyers, etc.), and pass files on to publicity chair's successor.
- Train a replacement before leaving office.
Knowledge and Skills
- Willingness to become familiar with and to follow Sierra Club policies regarding the use of mailing labels, and other applicable Club-related policies and restrictions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other committee members and media.
- Good written and oral communication skills and good public speaking skills.
- Event Posters (C-3), Sticker Update for Event Posters (C-9), AdKit (D-1):
- How to Write and Distribute a News Release