Job Description: Conservation Chair
Purpose of Position
- To provide leadership, direction, and guidance on conservation issues for the chapter;
- To motivate and direct the Conservation Committee; and
- To appropriately delegate activities related to conservation to committee and other chapter members.
Leadership, Direction, and Guidance on Conservation Issues
- Provide chapter leaders with a long-range vision of what the Club's conservation strategy and priorities should be over the next two to five years.
- Identify conservation issues needing attention and worthy of chapter consideration.
- Assist chapter leaders to develop conservation priorities.
- Design plans and strategies for current conservation campaigns.
- Report regularly on conservation committee activities to the chapter chair,
executive committee, and other committees.
Motivation, Direction, and Coordination of the Chapter/Group Conservation Committee
- Oversee conservation committee activities to ensure that all needed tasks are accomplished.
- Direct and assist the committee to set goals and carry out objectives. -
Coordinate main functions and campaigns of the committee.
Delegation of Conservation-related Activities
- Identify, recruit and challenge volunteer leaders.
- Identify individual members' abilities and interests and assign tasks appropriately.
- Train and assign volunteers to carry out conservation activities.
- Follow up assignments to be sure they are carried out.
- Thank volunteers and provide other rewards (social activities, public recognition) to ensure repeat performances.
- Prevent duplication of work by linking key individuals with one another.
- Challenge and encourage members to use their talents and skills to the maximum.
Sierra Club Vice President for Conservation