- It's easier than ever to make a gift to the New Jersey Sierra Club by clicking on the "Donate" button. Your generous support today is a guaranteed investment in the future of our environment.
Connect With Us:
- Click Here for the latest quarterly copy of the Sierra Club's publication on all things New Jersey.
- Dec 21 (Sun), 12:30 pm
- Silver Singles Holiday Walking Tour of NYC
- Dec 21 (Sun), 2:00 pm
- Lower Landsdown Trail Solstice Hike and Holiday Potluck
- Jan 3 (Sat), 3:00 pm
- Longwood Gardens Holiday Display
- Jan 7 (Wed), 7:00 pm
- Defending Wildlife
- Jan 10 (Sat), 10:00 am
- Singles Hike - Sourlands Mountain Preserve, Hillsborough
- Jan 10 (Sat), 1:00 pm
- Chapter Executive Committee meeting
- Jan 14 (Wed), 7:30 pm
- New Jersey Bluebird Society
- Jan 14 (Wed), 7:30 pm
- Executive Committee/Planning Meeting
- Jan 17 (Sat), 10:00 am
- Singles Hike - Jockey Hollow
- Jan 17 (Sat), 10:00 am
- Columbia Trail Hike
Dates for your Diary - 2006
January 23, Sustainable Development
Start off the New Year by learning about community conservation and fair
trade projects in Central America that help the local people live
sustainably. Our guest speaker, Patrick Hossay, is an associate professor
of Political Science at Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, and the
author of the soon-to-be published book, Unsustainable.
- February 27, Responsible Investing
Just what is Socially Responsible Investing (SRI)? How did it begin and
how has it evolved? Are there any success stories in SRI? Join us as
Scott Buttfield, a financial planner and investment adviser in Red Bank,
explains the intricacies of this type of investing.
March 27, Is Beach Replenishment Necessary?
We’ve heard so much recently about replenishing our local beaches,
especially after hurricanes and winter storms. But is this a good idea?
Or are we just throwing our money in the ocean? Come hear Tim Dillingham,
Executive Director of the American Littoral Society, talk about beach
replenishment and the controversy surrounding it.
- Apr 24: Conservation Medicine.
This emerging field combines many disciplines,
including ecology, epidemiology, anthropology, and medicine, both human and veterinary.
Join us as a representative from the Wildlife Clinic & Center for Conservation
Medicine at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine talks about this exciting
field, and one of the Center’s current projects, SEANET.
- May 22:
Cool Cities: Solving Global Warming One City at a Time.
The Conservation Committee has begun work on what portends to be a very important effort. Faith Teitelbaum,
our Group Conservation Chair, will introduce this campaign to the general membership.
- June 26: Local Green Initiative.
Mayor Joseph Scarpelli of Brick Township has proposed
several environmentally friendly projects for his township. Come hear what is in store
for Brick! (members of the Ocean County Group are welcome to join us, as always!)
- July 16 (Sun): noon till ??? — Annual Group Picnic.
- Join fellow Group members at Turkey
Swamp Park, Freehold Township for a fun-filled afternoon of eating, talking, eating, playing
games, eating, hiking, . . . oh, did I mention eating?!! We gather at one of the lovely
picnic areas — just follow the signs to find us! Bring a dish to share, vegetarian or otherwise,
and bring the kids or grandkids, too, if you have any! For further information, or
directions, please contact Marinel Mukherjee (firstname.lastname@example.org or 732-780-8678).
- Sept 25: Global Warming - Are You Ready?
What is the magnitude of the changes, and
will they will become irreversible before they can be corrected? Stefano Crema is a PhD
chemist who has worked for multi-national chemical industries for more than 25 years —
in research and marketing. He argues in a powerful slide presentation that, from the melting
of Arctic ice to the disappearance of Alpine glaciers, there is little doubt in the international
scientific community that human activities are causing changes to the Earth’s climate.
For information: Stephanie Seyr:
- Special Event: Oct 20 (Friday): Coffee House
8-11pm, Unitarian-Universalist Meeting
House of Monmouth County, 1475 West Front Street, Lincroft. Good music and lots of
goodies to eat! This is our annual group fundraising event, so bring all your friends.
Suggested Donation - $10/person. For further information, or to volunteer to help,
contact Marinel, at Baykoof944@aol.com, or 732-780-8678.
- Oct 23:
- Bonnie Tillery (Population Issues Coordinator for the Sierran) will be speaking
to us about a 10-day trip she recently took to Madagascar with nine other Sierra Club
members from around the world.
- Nov 27:
- Bob Dresnack, Professor of Hydrology at NJIT, will explain what a citizen
should know when a big development is planned, and provide some examples of wellplanned
and poorly-planed projects.
- Special Event: December 10 (Sunday): Holiday Party
No meeting this month, but join us for a party to toast the holiday season. The fun starts at 3 p.m. at Steve Knowlton's home. If you plan to attend, please let Steve know how many people are coming and what you are bringing. Please send your information to
Stream Monitoring volunteers needed! Monmouth County is expanding
their stream monitoring program. If you can help, call Joe Galacki,
Shore Group Coordinator, 732-222-3362.