- Click Here for the latest quarterly copy of the Sierra Club's publication on all things New Jersey.
- Jun 18 (Tue), 7:00 PM
- Monthly Singles Dinner in Montclair
- Jun 22 (Sat), 10:00 AM
- Patriots Path Stroll
- Jun 23 (Sun), 9:30 AM
- Whale Pond Brook Watershed Clean-up
- Jun 24 (Mon), 6:00 PM
- Rock Climbing
- Jun 25 (Tue), 7:00 PM
- Protecting NJ's Environment: From Cancer Alley to the New Garden State
- Jun 29 (Sat), 8:30 AM
- Invasive Plant Pull at Hoffman Park-- Our newest park!
- Jul 4 (Thu), 9:00 AM
- Manasquan River Reservoir Hike
- Jul 6 (Sat), 10:00 AM
- Social Hike in Hacklebarney State Park
- Jul 13 (Sat), 10:00 AM
- March Through Jockey Hollow
- Jul 13 (Sat), 10:00 AM
- Ramapo Mountain Park Hike and Swim
Welcome to the New Jersey Gateway Group's Sierra Club Page.
Serving Hillside, Elizabeth, Essex County (except for Livingston, Millburn, and Roseland),
and all of Hudson County.
The Gateway Group was organized in 2011 to fill a much needed void after the Essex Group disbanded. As of January 2013 Gateway expanded to include all of the great Hudson County communities after the the Hudson-Meadowlands Group disbanded. The Gateway Group sorely needs representatives for Jersey City, Bayonne, and Hoboken. Please contact any of the leaders below if you are interested in joining our fight to save the environment.
http://newjersey.sierraclub.org/Gateway/ We are also accessible from the NJ Chapter web site.
Follow (and "Like") us on
Gateway Group Officers
|Vice Chair||John Beadle
|Program Co-Chairs||John Beadle
email@example.com , 201-452-9389
|Conservation Co-Chairs||ZaSah Khademi
|Political Chair|| Open Position
|Membership Co-Chairs||Steven Yafet,
|Newark Issues Chair||Bill Chappel
|Water Issues Chair||Bill Chappel|
|Recycling Issues Chair||Lyle Landon
|Passaic River Issues Chair||Brenda Toyloy,
|Elizabeth Issues Chair||Paula Borenstein
|Outings Chair|| Open Position
|Group Excomm||David Yennior, John Beadle, and ZaSah Khademi
Please contact John Beadle or Barbara Conover, Gateway's Program Chairs, if you have a question about our programs listed below or any suggestions for a program in the future.
The Gateway Group invites YOU to join in the activism and asks your support as we strive to address the many issues facing the urban as well as suburban communities. There are several vacant positions listed, along with a full list of officers. For further information about upcoming
activities, volunteer opportunities, or to discuss any concerns please contact me at
or call 973-844-1384.
LIST OF UPCOMING EVENTS:
- Dangers of Hydrofracking - Monday, April 8 at 7-8:30 pm at the Maplewood Public Library community room, 51 Maple St, Maplewood 07040.
Terry Stimpfel, NJ Sierra Club Fracking issue chair, will lead a discussion on hydrofracking and fracking waste. Fracking is the violent technique used to get natural gas from shale. Is fracked gas clean domestic energy or pollution menace? She'll discuss what it is, how it works, and why it's so controversial.
- Creating a Urban Wildlife Refuge - Wednesday, May 8, at 7:00 pm at Verona Boathouse, Porcello Ln, Verona, NJ
Lois Ross from Friends of Clark's Pond will talk about how a group of neighbors joined together to create an 18 acre Urban Wildlife Refuge in Bloomfield on the third river. Building support, recruiting
volunteers, working with the town, permits, grants, clean-ups, planting of native plants, turtle daycare.
- Newark's Water Wars - Wednesday, June 12 at 7-9:00 pm at St James Parish multipurpose room, 143 Madison St Newark, NJ 07105. (ample on site parking)
William Chappel, a member of the Newark Water Group will lead a discussion about their fight against Mayor Cory Booker's plans to create a Municipal Utilities Authority. 5,000 Newark Residents petitioned a referendum on the MUA. The Water Group fears the loss of transparency. The Mayor fought back in the courts.